Dawson County Sheriff Billy Carlisle was just one year into his first term as sheriff when Levi Frady was murdered in 1997.
“When I was first elected, this was a very small department, so small that we had deputies riding together because we didn’t have enough cars, and the equipment they needed they bought themselves,” he said.
Sheriff Carlisle is married to Cathy Carlisle, who was a teacher at Robinson Elementary School in Dawson County, Ga. She retired in 2015. They have four children Chad, Cara, Joseph, and Laryssa. Sheriff Carlisle and Cathy have also served as foster parents.
Sheriff Carlisle and his family are active members of the Faith Baptist Church of Dawson, where he serves as a Deacon and adult Sunday school teacher.
• 1979 Graduate of Dawson County High School
• 1988 Graduate of Northeast Georgia Police Academy
• 1996 Graduate of Georgia Sheriff’s Elect Academy
• 1999 Graduate of National Sheriff’s Institute
• Attended Gainesville State College
• Numerous hours of Georgia Public Safety Training Center training
Sheriff Carlisle has more than 21 years of law enforcement experience. Sheriff Carlisle has devoted the entirety of his career to the citizens and visitors of Dawson County.
Sheriff Carlisle serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the following:
Edmondson-Telford Center for Children, which services children who have been victims of abuse. The Edmondson-Telford Center for Children offers assistance with treatment and forensic examinations for the children of Dawson and Hall County.
North Georgia K-9 Task Force, which is a regional task force that services 9 North Georgia counties.
Additionally affiliations include:
• Charter Member of Prevent Child Abuse in Dawson County
• Charter Member of the Dawson County Kiwanis Club, which is an international organization providing assistance to children and young adults.
• Governor’s State Wide Occupant Safety Task Force
• Member of the Dawson County Foster Parent Association
• Past Regional Vice President for Region 3 of the Georgia Sheriff’s Association
American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
County Officers Association of Georgia
Dawson County Foster Parent Association
Georgia Sheriff’s Association
National Sheriff’s Association